Gas Leak Causes Evacuation of Olde Sproul Village
A PVC pipe melted while construction crews poured blacktop in the Olde Sproul Shopping Village.
On scene, Police Chief Joseph Daly told Springfield Patch a PVC pipe had melted while construction crews were pouring blacktop behind an empty storefront where a new Sears appliance store coming soon next to Peace A Pizza.
The southern half of the shopping center was evacuated and secured by Springfield police.
The gas line was shut off and crews ventilated the premises. Daly said the area was evacuated as a precaution to ensure no one would be harmed.
Business owners, employees and customers were able to return to the area at 12:40 p.m. Crews were able to start repairs to the gas pipe. No one was harmed.
Springfield Ambulance Corps, Clifton Heights, Swarthmore, Media and Drexel Hill fire companies also responded.