We all know the advantages of shopping locally: It's an investment in your community, an important way to keep money local during trying economic times, and a way to lessen your carbon footprint. But, what if you prefer to do your shopping from the sofa?
Never fear: there are still ways to shop close to home without actually leaving home.
Etsy, a website for vintage and handmade wares, is a great resource for the online shopper. The site has sellers from all over the world, but includes an Etsy Local page where you can select your location and only shop close to home.
Check out the lists below for jewelry, soaps, scarves, dog treats, spices, art, clothing, journals and other holiday gift ideas—all made in the Springfield Patch area and surrounding region.
- Bankiebaby, based in Springfield, Bankiebaby provides "Soft, organic baby blankets with sweet animal applique designs. These heirloom quality blankets are personalized for free."
- WebberkingOriginals,also based in Springfield, WebberkingOriginals makes handmade suncathers and ornaments.
- splendidstitchery, this guy makes handstiched stuffed animals children's clothing, and various bags, as well as fine art paintings.
- watts1234, a jewelry maker that works with beads but also gold and silver. Also has photography available.
- TheShabbyPearl, vintage inspired accessories for young children.