Pickles? Peeps? Bologna? Pennsylvania has a tradition of dropping and raising some unique items on New Year's Eve.
If you want to do something different this year and are willing to take a road trip, take a look a some of the unique objects many central and northern Pennsylvania towns are lifting or lowering.
Have a sweet tooth? Hershey raises a kiss, Hummelstown drops a lollipop, and Elizabethtown drops M&Ms. Craving salty snacks? Then the bologna drop in Lebanon or the pickle drop in Dillsburg may be for you.
Any of these events are sure to provide a few laughs and a fun story to tell your friends and family.
New Year's Eve Drops/Raises in Eastern Pennsylvania
- Allentown (Lehigh County): Drops a Liberty Bell replica
- Bethlehem (Lehigh County): PEEPS Chick drop and fireworks
- Easton (Northampton County): Drops a Crayola crayon
- Elizabethtown (Lancaster County): Drops M&Ms
- Lancaster (Lancaster County): Raises a red rose
- Manhein (Lancaster County): Drops a colorful, lighted orb
- Falmouth (Lancaster County): Drops a stuffed goat
- York (York County): Drops a white rose
- Red Lion (York County): Drops a lion holding a cigar
- Dillsburg (York County): Drops a pickle
- Harrisburg (Dauphin County): Drops a strawberry
- Hummelstown (Dauphin County): Drops a lollipop
- Hershey (Dauphin County): Raising a Hershey kiss
- Lebanon (Lebanon County): Raises a huge Lebanon bologna
- Cleona (Lebanon County): Drops a pretzel
- Mechanicsburg (Cumberland County): Drops a wrench
- Carlisle (Cumberland County): Drops an Indy car
- Shippensburg (Cumberland County): Drops an anchor
- Bloomfield (Perry County): Drops a huckleberry
- Duncannon (Perry County): Drops a sled
- Pottsville (Schuylkill County): Raises a bottle of Yuengling beer
What are your plans for New Year's Eve? Do you know of another town that drops or raises a unique object? Share it with Patch in the comments.