This week PATCH stands for People All Together Can Help hurricane victims.
In response to countless inquiries about where and how to help, Springfield Patch and our sister Patch sites in the region will collect sorely needed items to help families left with virtually nothing in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
More than two weeks after the storm devastated parts of Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens the need for supplies is as great as ever.
What can you do?
Bring donations of:
- Non-perishable dry food items that can be eaten right out of the box or can or package (many people are living in shelters or in homes with no cooking or and no refrigeration facilities). There's also a need for instant coffee.
- Diapers (all sizes are in especially short supply and high demand)
- Baby wipes and adult wipes/moist towelettes (for those in shelters or in damaged houses baths and showers are still hard to find)
- Baby formula (that does not require refrigeration for storing)
- Sanitary Products
- Men's underwear (all sizes in new packages)
- Small Toys (many kids are facing spending the holidays in shelters or away from the homes they are used to) please no bikes, big games or boxed toys. Space is limited for many families so this should be something the can fit in a pocket, purse or backpack.
- Other basic necessities (items that might be helpful to families who suddenly found themselves without a home).
Where to bring your donations:
- 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. Only Tonight.
Editor's Note: The need for items is still accute, more than two weeks after the storm. I spoke with relief volunteers this morning who were in one of Staten Island's hardest hit areas on Monday. They said it's an unbelievable sight on the ground there as families who just two weeks ago lived comfortably in nice houses are suddenly without homes and living in shelters.
Thank you in advance for helping our neighbors on Staten Island. I would also like to say a special "thank you" to the pastors and congregations of the Blue Church Parking for allowing Patch to use their parking lot as a collection point.
Patch will be taking a truckload of your donations to Staten Island on Friday morning. Thank you for donating on Wednesday and Thursday.
If your business would like to serve as a collection/drop-off location in the Springfield area Today please contact Patch Editor Bob Byrne at Bob.Byrne@Patch.com