Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out our top regional events:
- When: Sunday, Jan. 6 from Noon - 5 p.m.
- Where:The Skatium
- Why Go: Enjoy fun and festivities, complimentary group lesson instructions, and entertaining events such as stilt-walkers, the Flyers ice girls, face painters and more. From Noon - 2 p.m., enjoy complimentary public skate session. At 2:15 p.m. watch the Haverford Hawks Atoms exhibition game. At 3:30 p.m. there will be a figure skating exhibition and at 3:45 complimentary group lessons.
- Cost: Free
2. Polar Bear Run and Plunge
- When: Sunday, Jan. 6 from 9 a.m. - Noon
- Where: Philadelphia Sports Clubs 555 E Lancaster Ave, Radnor
- Why Go: Everyone is a winner at the Tuff Kids Polar Bear Run & Plunge to support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. In this challenging event, kids have a blast navigating through land and water obstacles and relays. After the event, cool down with food, games and prizes at the Polar Bear Party. It's a win-win for everyone—kids get active and money is raised for a good cause. For Kids ages 4-13. Nonmembers are welcome. Some swimming experience required (swim vests will be available)
- Cost: $35
3. Owl Prowl
- When: Saturday, Jan. 5 from 4 - 6 p.m.
- Where: The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education 8480 Hagys Mill Rd, Philadelphia
- Why Go: Come out for an after dark walk in the woods and seek the elusive and magnificent owls that live at the SCEE. Before heading out on the walk, you will learn about their distinctive calls, meet the wildlife clinic’s rehabilitated screech and great horned owls and learn about some of the physical and behavioral characteristics that make them exceptional hunters of the night forest.
- Cost: Free for Members, $5 Non-Members
4. First Friday
- When: Friday, Jan. 4
- Where: Main Street, Manayunk
- Why Go:Manayunk businesses will be celebrating the first 'First Friday' of 2013 with special events, deals, and discounts! For up to the minute information on specials and more, please visit their Facebook page.
- Cost: Free
- When: Saturday, Jan. 5 from 10 a.m. - Noon
- Where:Temple Sholom, 55 Church Ln, Broomall
- Why Go: Ryan Wexelblatt, the Founder and Director of Camp Sequoia and Sequoia Kids Program which serve children and adolescents who present with social learning needs will speak on improving the social skills and social thinking skills for children diagnosed with ADHD, Asperger's and high-functioning autism spectrum diagnoses.
- Cost: Free