Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out our top regional events:
1. Luther College Nordic Choir
- When: Saturday, Jan. 19 at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Why Go: The world-acclaimed Nordic Choir from Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, will be coming to St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church. This is a ticketed event, $15 for adults and children over 12. Younger children are admitted free of charge. The Nordic Choir is one of the premier choirs in America, having performed at Kennedy Center, Carnegie Hall, Orchestra Hall, Chicago and The Mormon Tabernacle, among other venues in the United States and Europe. The 65-voice choir, which last came to St. Paul's in 2007, will be directed by Dr. Allen Hightower, who took over leadership of the ensemble in 2010. Tickets can be purchased from the church starting in December, or by contacting Millie at email@example.com or 610-642-3211.
2. Voices United Against Abuse Benefit Concert
- When: Sunday, Jan. 20 from 3 - 7 p.m.
- Where: The New Leaf Club, 225 Montrose Ave,Rosemont
- Why Go: Help women and children that are victims of domestic abuse by coming out for an afternoon of music, food and more. Your ticket gives you four hours of live music by some of the best musicians, food catered by local restaurants, and a raffle and silent auction. 100% of the events proceeds will go to the organization WOMEN AGAINST ABUSE.
- Cost: $20
3. Empty Bowls at Malvern Prep
- When: Monday, Jan. 21 at 7 p.m.
- Where: Malvern Prep School 418 S Warren Ave, Malvern
- Why Go: Malvern Preparatory School is sponsoring its fifth annual Empty Bowls Event on Martin Luther King Day. This dinner event will feature over 800 ceramic bowls created by the Malvern community and friends, and a silent auction of artwork donated by students and area artists. Guests choose one bowl to keep as a reminder that there are always Empty Bowls in the world. Remaining bowls are available for sale. All proceeds will be donated to Bethesda Project.
- Cost: $25/adult and $15/child ten and under
4. Brit Pop Show
- When: Friday, Jan. 18 and Saturday, Jan. 19 at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Main Line School of Rock, 511 Old Lancaster Rd, Berwyn
- Why Go: Come out for a night of British pop, focusing on the sounds of the early '90s featuring bands such as Pulp, Oasis and Blur on through the '00s with bands such as Franz Ferdinand, The Kaiser Chiefs and the Arctic Monkeys.
- Cost: $10
- When: Friday, Jan. 18 from 6 - 8 p.m.
- Where: West Chester Friends School
- Why Go: The West Chester Friends School is hosting an Empty Bowl supper to benefit the West Chester Food Cupboard. Empty Bowl is a national effort to raise awareness about hunger and food insecurity in communities. Participants receive a handmade glazed bowl, a simple supper, bowl filled with soup, and bread.
- Cost: $10 per person, or $20 for families of two or more.