Motorists beware of traffic delays that may come with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's $13.4 million project to repair and resurface 15 state highways in Delaware County.
The projects began on August 1.
"This resurfacing project will improve over 48 miles of deteriorating pavement in Delaware County over the next year and provide our customers with a smooth riding surface,” PennDOT District Executive Lester C. Toaso said in a press release.
Among the state highways scheduled for work are Route 1 (Media Bypass) and Route 320 (Sproul Road).
Highway Materials, Inc., of Blue Bell, Montgomery County is the general contractor on the $13,485,482 project. The project is financed with 100 percent state funds. All work will be completed by August 2013, according to a PennDOT press release.
Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through the work zone as crews work at night to resurface these state highways, according to PennDOT's website.
The weather dependent work schedule and roadways under this project in the Media Patch area are as follows.
- August 1-24: One lane will be closed on Route 1 (Media Bypass) between Baltimore Pike and Route 320 (Sproul Road) in Springfield, Marple, and Upper Providence townships from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. for milling, and manholes.
- Route 320 (Edgmont Avenue/Middletown Road) between Cambridge Road and Denny’s Road in Middletown Township and Brookhaven Borough
- Route 252 (Providence Road/Newtown Road) between Baltimore Pike and Gradyville Road in Media Borough, Upper Providence, Marple and Newtown townships
- Elwyn Road between Route 352 (Middletown Road) and Baltimore Pike in Middletown Township
- Gradyville Road between Creek Road and Route 352 (Middletown Township) in Thornbury and Edgmont townships
- Sycamore Mills Road between Valley Road and Route 352 (Middletown Road) in Edgmont Township
Other Delaware County roadways under this project are as follows:
- Route 3 (West Chester Pike) between Bishop Hollow Road and Lawrence Road in Newtown and Marple townships
- Conestoga Road between County Line Road and Brookside Avenue in Radnor Township
- Bryn Mawr Avenue between Hunt Road and County Line Road/Haverford Avenue in Radnor Township
- Route 320 (Sproul Road) between Baltimore Pike and Wesley Road in Springfield Township
- Valleybrook Road between Concord Road and Baltimore Pike in Chester Heights Borough, Concord and Aston townships
- Bethel Road between Chichester Avenue and Garnet Mine Road in Upper Chichester and Bethel townships
- Goshen Road between the Chester County line and Route 252 (Newtown State Road) in Newtown Township
- Glen Mills Road between Cheyney Road and Sweetwater Road in Thornbury Township
- Ivy Mills Road between Concord Road and Valleybrook Road in Concord Township and Chester Heights Borough
Crews will also install new curb ramps on the following state highways:
- Route 352 (Edgmont Avenue/Middletown Road) between Cambridge Road and Glen Riddle Road/Elwyn Road/Old Middletown Road in Brookhaven Borough and Middletown Township
- Route 252 (Providence Road/Newtown Road) between Baltimore Pike Gradyville Road in Media Borough, Upper Providence, Marple and Newtown townships
- Gradyville Road at Route 352 (Middletown Road) in Edgmont Township
- Conestoga Road between County Line Road and Radnor Chester Road in Radnor Township
- Bryn Mawr Avenue between County Line Road and Route 320 (Sproul Road) in Radnor Township
- Route 1 (Media Bypass) at Collins Drive/Marple Crossroads in Springfield Township
- Goshen Road at Newtown Street Road in Newtown Township
- Route 3 (West Chester Pike) between Bishop Hollow Road/Clyde Lane and Lawrence Road in Newtown, Marple and Haverford townships
- Bethel Road between Foulk Road and Chichester Avenue in Bethel and Chichester townships
- Route 320 (Sproul Road) between Baltimore Pike and Kennerly Road Swarthmore Borough and Springfield Township
- Valleybrook Road between Route 1 (Baltimore Pike) and Peters Lane in Chester Heights Borough.
For more information, visit www.dot.state.pa.us.